Saturday, June 2, 2012

Behind the Scenes

These last few days I've been doing some work behind the scene for Little Cloud Factory, the crafty side of my hobby.

I have been a little slow to jump on the Pinterest bandwagon but now I see what benefit there is to storing inspiration in one central place. I have started collecting ideas for Market Stall Design and I realise that I will need to put a lot of thought, effort and time into creating an attractive stall at my next market (Date to be confirmed!)

This was my stall at my first market nearly two years ago. Clear branding- check, varying heights- check, allow customers to interact with items- check, each item clearly priced- check. For a first attempt looking back I actually think it looked good. Displaying softies is a little tricky because they need some back support and stacking them in boxes doesn't allow them to be seen in their entirety.


And then I came across this stall display!!! Gorgeous, creative, adorable, this is one unique stall display that I would love to re-create! The materials are relatively simple but the unique nature of this stall would surely attract a lot of interest.

This week I've also learnt to be selective. I have a lot of fabric, infact I have too much fabric. (I don't dare show you a photo!) Fabric that has been in my stash for a couple of years and I realise that I'm a bit more particular about the fabrics that I chose to use on my softies and accessories. So I've sorted out my favourite pieces and set aside them aside ready to be turned into a babushka, owl or other design. I gave some fabric to another crafty friend and have made a promise to myself to not purchase fabric that won't go towards a specific project, or be appropriate for a couple.

Felt is one of my favourite textiles and I have learnt that there is felt and there is felt. In the last few months I have found two lovely suppliers of felt, felt which is chemical free, has a beautiful selection of colours and is lovely to work with. Another quick cleanup and cull and my felt stash is looking much better.

In order to cut felt correctly and easily, especially for those little pieces, a good pair of embroidery scissors is a must. I bought a new pair recently and the difference is clear making for clean cuts and less waste.

Plans for the weekend:
  • Finish the three projects lying on my desk (one babushka doll and two owl wall hangings)
  • Read the latest Adore Home online mag
  • Read the latest Tickle the Imagination online mag
  • Make Harper's birthday party invites
Enjoy your weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment
Penelope x